That intro music though... :-) Exciting!
Not gonna lie, Elrond was pretty badass fighting on the slopes of Mt. Doom.
"The hearts of men are easily corrupted." Preach it, Galadriel.
Bilbo Baggins, burglar extraordinaire!
Map close-up! In case anyone needs a reference, here it is.
I for one, think living in a Hobbit hole would be pretty sweet! I fear I'm a bit too tall, however.
Our first introduction to Frodo, played by never-aging actor Elijah Wood.
Gandalf the Trouble-Maker! A "disturber of the peace" for good reason.
I absolutely LOVE the musical score of these films! Howard Shore FTW!
Nice foreshadowing with Gandalf blowing the smoke ring ship, sailing off into the mist.
Merry and Pippin, those rascals! Pretty epic dragon firework though... :-)
Bilbo did a very good job of sounding drunk during his birthday speech.
I think Gandalf just used the equivalent of his "teacher voice" on Bilbo. Leave the ring, Bilbo! Leaaavvveee it!!!
Ummm....okay. Sure. Just drop the ring on the floor and walk out. Jerk.
Contemplative Gandalf is one of my favorite Gandalfs! All broody and staring into the fire...
And Gandalf leaves on his research mission... In the book, he's gone for 19 years before he actually discovers the origin of the ring. Luckily for us, we are a movie timeline and those 19 years pass in about 2.5 minutes.
It's good to know that drunkenly dancing on tables is a cultural tradition shared by Hobbits and humans alike. Merry and Pippin seem to particularly enjoy it.
I would have told Gandalf he was trippin' if he asked me to hold out my hand and take a ring fresh out of the fire. Straight trippin'.
Gollum snitched on you Bilbo. Snitches get stitches! Now, Sauron is coming for you, homie!
"I ain't been droppin' no eaves, mister, honest!" Samwise the smart-ass.
The Shire is lovely, lovely countryside.
I'm about 50 minutes into this movie and my dog has barked at the screen no less than 8 times. I am about to kick my Samwise to the curb if she doesn't stop making a ruckus.
Saruman is a dick. What a tool!
I can't take it anymore... BATHROOM BREAK!!!
Crisis averted! My bladder is empty and the ring wraith somehow inexplicably didn't realize he was within inches of 4 Hobbits and one ring of power. If I were Sauron, I'd fire fire the guy ASAP. Very poor detective work!
Buckleberry Ferry FTW!
Why is it always raining in Bree? In the Hobbit films, they also show Bree when its raining. It Bree like the Seattle of Middle Earth? What is their yearly total rainfall, 1413934 inches?
The Prancing Pony looks like the Middle Earth equivalent of a shady pool hall/biker bar.
Who wears a hooded cloak indoors in a dimly lit inn? Strider the Badass. That's who.
You got some 'splainin to do, Frodo! Why, oh why, did you put on the ring!
I'm not gonna lie, I don't think I'd mind getting tossed around by Strider. Ohh, la la!
The scene where the Ring Wraiths storm into Bree is one of my favorite sequences in this film.
The process by which men turn into Nazgul sounds eerily similar to the way men become politicians in this country. Just sayin'.
Second breakfast is a concept I could get behind!
Oh no! Leave it to Hobbits to let their stomachs get them into trouble. Here come the Nazgul!
Note to Self: Avoid morgul blades at all cost. They are bad bad news.
Lady Arwen to the rescue!
These films have beautiful horses.
The raging river of water horses that sweep away the Nazgul is probably the most badass thing Arwen does in the whole trilogy.
Frodo wakes up in the House of Elrond on October 24th. Frodo and Sam leave the shire on September 22. So it has taken them almost a month to get to Rivendell.
Flashback to Galdalf's amazing Eagle rescue! Kick ass!
Hugo Weaving also ages at a slower rate than seems humanly possible. Perhaps he is actually part elf in real life.
AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!! Oh...no...wait... It's just dwarves, men, and elves.
On a side note, Legolas is my homeboy.
Boromir can be such a dick.
Awww... Arwen and Aragorn cut scene! So sweet!
Arwen bound herself to Aragorn? I do not blame her. I'd bind myself to him too if I were Arwen. Aragorn is pretty hot. And scruffy. He's scruffy-hot.
THE COUNCIL OF ELROND!!! Shit is about to get real REAL!
Breaking news: My husband is making me some popcorn. This is excellent news! He's the Aragorn to my Arwen :-)
Speaking the tongue of Mordor in Rivendell?!?! Gandalf doesn't ask your pardon, son! Take a seat, Elrond!
Boromir is super good at moody pouting. Or, at least, super experienced.
It's sooooo Gimli to just try to smash the ring with an axe. So headstrong. So Son of Gloin.
Legolas gets it. Why is he the only one who gets it?!?! Tell 'em Legolas! The ring MUST be destroyed!
Aaaaannnd Frodo is the only one with balls apparently.
Merry and Pippin! Just like Hobbits to impulsively agree to a suicidal mission without knowing exactly where they're going.
We now pause to switch to the next disc!! This would also be a good time for bathroom/snack break.
Annnnd...we're back!
Elrond is SUCH a dad. All he needs is a shotgun and a redneck accent. "Leave my daughter alone, ya bum!"
LOL @ Frodo asking Galdalf for directions straight outta the gate! Ha!
Behold, the evil crows of DOOM!!! Crebain from Dunland!! Those nasty bastards!
Frodo decides its best to go through the Mines of Moria. So basically, it was a decision between certain death, possible death, and maybe kinda sorta death.
"Speak friend and enter." But no one knows the password to enter the mines. Um. How does this happen? Could you try turning it off and on again?
Frodo saves the day by realizing its a riddle. How did no one else know it was a riddle? I mean, not even Gandalf figured that out! Gandalf!
Of course none of that matters after they're all nearly eaten by the lake monster.
You know you're in trouble when your navigator has "no memory of this place" and you're trapped in a mine.
Time for a short morality lesson. ie, Why the eff didn't Bilbo just kill Gollum years ago?
A recreation of the look on my face the first time I saw the realm of the Dwarves. --> O_O
*Cartman voice* Goddammit, Pippin! ...Fool of a Took! Now they're all screwed!
Oh, SNAP!! They have a cave troll! Bitches be cray!
How I imagine my mom looked trying to get me out of bed in the mornings as a teenagers....
Frodo is alive!!! DAT MITHRIL.
Orcs: The cockroaches of Middle Earth. Ugh. So creepy. So...everywhere.
Balrog? More like Balrunforyourlivesmorons. GTFO.
YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!
"Fly you fools!" Listen to the man, Frodo! Run like the wind!
Awwwww. Mourning all around. I actually did cry during this part the first time I watched.
Poor Aragorn has to be the hard-ass who pushes everyone to keep running.
This is the part where I really start to like Gimli. Letting his mouth get the best of him.
The elves have the best costumes in this entire trilogy BY FAR. I want to be an elf.
Galadriel is nice to Gimli. This is the point when Legolas starts to think Gimli might not be so bad after all.
This part in the books, where the fellowship spends time with the elves lamenting Gandalf, is incredibly written. Not quite as moving in the films, but still nicely done.
So, the Shire will basically burn and everyone will die if you fail Frodo. No pressure.
Scary Galadriel is scary.
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." Right on, Galadriel. Right on.
So the Uruk-hai are supposed to go out and "taste manflesh"? Simmer down, Saruman, you're making things awkward.
Galadriel's gifts:
Legolas: a bow
Merry and Pippin: daggers
Sam: Elven rope
Frodo: Light of Elendil
Gimli: 3 hairs from Galdriel's head.Very cool.
I've always wanted to travel long distance by canoe. I'd rather not have a horde of Uruk-hai following me while I do it though. Just sayin'.
Boromir is once again pouty after fighting with Aragorn.
My favorite shot in the entire trilogy, the Gate of Argonath!
Damn it, Frodo! You should know better than to wander off. You might get accosted by people you trust, like Boromir!
Let this be a lesson, Frodo. Never trust a Sean Bean. He'll always let you down!
Elves fight so elegantly. Dwarves are all like "I'll smash yer skull with me axe!" and the men are sort of in between.
Boromir has arrows sticking out of him and he's STILL swinging a sword!! BAMF.
Boromir is a misguided jerk, but I did tear up during this scene when he dies. I'm glad Aragorn makes up with him before the end.
"I would have followed you my brother, my captain, my king." ~the last words of Boromir, Son of Denethor. RIP.
Samsise Gamgee, promise keeper.
Legolas, the incredulous.
The Fellowship is broken, and so ends the first film...
Time for a potty break for myself and my own Samwise companion, a snack, a drink refill, and then...onto the Two Towers!





No comments:
Post a Comment