Sunday, January 8, 2017

My Self-Care Mandate

I don't think anyone is really reading this blog but if you are, and you're wondering about my day job, I can tell you that I work in the social services field. Specifically, I am a social worker (without a degree). I've been told that I can't call myself a social worker unless I have a degree in social work. Either way, I do the same work with or without the degree.

Anyone working in a social service field will tell you that self-care is of the utmost importance. One of the biggest problems social workers face is the mentally, emotionally, and physically draining toll that caring for others can take on a them if they don't also devote time to caring for themselves. It's a constant battle for me.

Knowing what a serious issue self-care is has helped me continue to do the work that I do. Without self-care, I feel certain I would have burned out by now. I've taken steps over the past few years to practice self-care regularly and limit the negative impact my job has on my overall well-being.

Some things I like to do for self-care are:
-Taking a walk, alone or with my husband
-Reading
-Writing
-Exercising
-Playing with my dog
-Talking to family on the phone
-Seeing a therapist if needed
-Going to see a movie
-Playing board games
-Attending church regularly

This is not a comprehensive list but they are the most common things I do. I'm always on the lookout for more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment